On Monday, June 18, 2012, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:

> On 18-6-2012 9:52, Laurence MacNeill wrote:
> > well -- I hit the wrong key and posted that before I was finished
> typing...
> >
> > here's what's in my views.py file:
> > def index(request)
> >      current_username = os.environ['REMOTE_USER']
>
> And you're sure this works? Try:
>  return django.shortcuts.render_to_response(current_username)
>
> here to verify it's coming through. Normally, the authenticated username
> would be part of the request dictionary.

Yeah, it's not working...  How do I get the user-name from the request
dictionary?  request.REMOTE_USER or somthing like that?

It's not using Django for the user-validation, though...  When someone logs
into the site, they get redirected to a page that validates them.  This is
controled by the Apache web-server itself -- if they try to access any
document served by Apache, and they don't have a cookie on their computer,
they're redirected to a different page where they enter their user ID and
password, then are sent back to the original page.  The user-id is then
stored in a linux environment variable called REMOTE_USER.  So I figured
the only way to access it was via the os.environ method.

> Almost correct:
> if student is not None :
>     # the student.html template will now have a variable named student
>     # which is the student object you fetched
>     return render_to_response('ta/student.html', student=student)
> elif instructor is not None :
>     #etc

Ahh, ok -- that makes sense...  Thanks...

L.