On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM, André Pang <andre.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I honestly don't mind whether Django decides to do this or not, since I can
> always hack our local tree to enforce this at the database level, but I
> thought it's an idea worth discussing. In my case, I found a couple of stray
> records with empty strings in columns where that wasn't supposed to happen,
> so enforcing it at the database level for me is a worthwhile safety concern.

Sure.  And bear in mind that there is absolutely no requirement to use
syncdb at all.  When we wrote the Oracle backend we had in mind that
most users would probably want to have Django generate the DDL scripts
and then tweak them to their liking before handing them off to the DBA
-- due to process concerns or Oracle DBAs who often want to see things
like storage declarations that are way out of scope for Django.  At my
workplace, many of the tables that Django deals with are actually
updatable views, which are obviously not produced by syncdb.

Cheers,
Ian