I didn't think to check the shell! It is definitely issue 2.

I was able to output:

>>> for tag in post.posttag_set.all(): tag.get_absolute_url()
'/blog/footag/'

which is exactly what I expect. (I have one post with the tag "footag")

post = get_object_or_404(Post, tag='footag') returns the error:
FieldError: Cannot resolve keyword 'tag' into field. Choices are: html, id,
posttag, pub_date, slug, title

So I tried:
post = get_object_or_404(Post, posttag='footag') which returned:
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'zzz'

I think a lot of my issues are being caused by my ignorance of how I would
refer to a Post objects tag since they are only related via foreign key.

btw, my templates print the tags perfectly with {% for tag in
post.posttag_set.all %}
so seeing >>> for tag in post.posttag_set.all(): tag.get_absolute_url()
print the tag url exactly came as a surprise to me.