On Sunday, 1 July 2012 23:25:32 UTC+1, Russ Abbott wrote:

> As a Django newbie I apologize if this is a trivial question.
>
> I'd like to use a form field as an element in a generated page but not as
> part of a form.  In particular, I'm generating a table, some of whose
> elements are text and others of which I want to be drop-down lists. I
> thought I might be able to use forms.ChoiceField to generate the drop-down
> lists.
>
> When I write

> choices = forms.ChoiceField([1, 2, 3]) # as a test case
>
> I get a django.forms.fields.ChoiceField object. But when I include it as
> an element of the table nothing appears.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach? (It seems very easy if it really could be
> made to work.) If so, what should I do to get it to display as a drop-down
> list?
>
> Thanks.

You don't make it explicit, but I assume you're passing that 'choice'
variable straight to the template, ie outside of a Form object? If so, that
doesn't work. Form fields themselves don't render directly - they have to
be included in a BoundField, which happens automatically when a form is
initiated. You could try just declaring and instantiating a simple form
containing just your fied.

Alternatively, you could try skipping the field altogether and try
instantiating the widget, form.Select, directly, and calling its `render`
method (it takes name and value, but value can be an empty string).
--
DR.