Hi Kit

I've been working with a similar problem to solve. I was using Django 1.3.0.
In my case, the legacy database could not be either created nor loaded with
fixtures as it had lots of composite keys - which is something Django can't
handle.
The workaround I used to run tests was to override the database driver and
database creation classes to create the database from sql. I had also to
override the TestCase so I could do a simple rollback after every test instead
of recreating the full database - I was using postgres and its database
creation is extremely long.

If I remember correctly I've faced some issues while overriding the test
runner, but I can't remember them.

I don't have much informations as I'm on vacation. If you poke me by the end of
next week I will give you more informations.

Good luck,
Xavier Ordoquy,
Linovia.