Dear list,

Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ. I did extensive searching through
this list and the django docs but have not been able to find a solution.

I'm trying to display data from a postgres backend into a HTML table. Most
of this data comes from a single table. Some columns however come from a
highly complex raw SQL query that is very CPU-expensive to run. The two
datasets cannot be combined into a single model for performance reasons.
Both models do however have an identical unique field .

As templates cannot do lookups into a dictionary or DB object, I now resort
to doing a nested 'for' loop, where the template cycles through the whole
dataset of model 1 for every record of model 2. Then if the unique field
obtained from model 2 is found in model 1, the other valeus from model 1
are displayed. Below is the current code I use.
This sounds hopelessly inefficient. Would someone be able to point me to a
method  to make this more logical?

Many thanks

Joris

  {% for GROUP in GROUPS %}
     {% for FIN in FINISH %}
           {% if FIN.grnummer = GROUP.grnummer
%}<td>{{FIN.synthesis_finish}}</td>{% endif %}
     {% endfor %}