1. def login(request):
   2.     m = Member.objects.get(username=request.POST['username'])
   3.     if m.password == request.POST['password']:
   4.         request.session['member_id'] = m.id
   5.         return HttpResponse("You're logged in.")
   6.     else:
   7.         return HttpResponse("Your username and password didn't match."
   )

How about that for starters?

The documentation goes from that to explaining how to set cookies.  How do
they expect me to understand what's going on?
There's absolutely NO explanation of what's going on in that code.

        request.session['member_id'] = m.id

How the hell does that work?

They don't tell you where the session is started, how, what the scope of
the session declaration is, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFd9NLZFmvo&playnext=1&list=PL6CB0A9FA1D9C736A&feature=results_video

See that video?  The video shows you how to use sessions very quickly.  How
did the person in the video get ALL of that code from just the
documentation?

If all readers in this thread and kindly tackle each point I made, I
promise you your own KFC when I start my empire.  Until then, I really just
need someone to give me the step-by-step on this one.  I'm completely new
to the framework and the documentation thus far has not been helpful.  I've
mainly gotten by with the help of StackOverflow, IRC, and random code
snippets online -- and occasionally, some outdated books.

If you don't want to explain or aren't going to ask me progressive
questions with regards to my confusion, please just skip over my plight.

Thank you all.