Answering my own question...

I debugged my brain a bit and got something working with branching.  Here's
my interpretation of my brain bug.

First a "step" is not something attached to a particular form.  Its the
index in a sequence.  The same form might be step 2 with one branching
structure but step 3 for another.

Second, the "condition_dict" keyword to wizard.as_view() should be thought
only as "use or don't use" a form. For me, this mean I had to stop thinking
of how to make the wizard go from one node to another in a flow chart.  Its
as if all nodes in a flow chart are possible and the condition_dict is used
to look up-stream in the flow-chart to decide if a particular node (form)
should be used.

I still would like to be able to design a wizard as a flow chart wtih
branches that switch based upon field values. I'd like to do this very
directly.  Perhaps I will write a django contrib that effectively tales
input as a directed-graph that represents the flow chart, and generates the
right condition_dict to make it happen.  (but first I have an app to build)