Modelforms are for creating forms that very closely map onto a model class.
The questions of whether to use xmlhttprequest vs form post, or
hand-written views vs tastypie generated are independent.

You can still create a form with the fields you want using django's forms
framework, and use javascript to send the data back, or use javascript to
create your UI, and process the data with a hand-written view.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Tim <jtim.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have started building an interface for my web app; there are some
> manytomany "through" relationships and fks I want to simplify for users to
> add/update the database. I don't want them to have to think about it; just
> edit the data and let the app logic put all the changes wherever they're
> supposed to be.
>
> After reading about modelforms and now looking at tastypie, I wonder how
> and why one picks one over the other. It seems to me that using tastypie
> and some jquery editable tables will abstract away the work of putting the
> data from the user in all the right places, while doing the logic with
> modelforms means I'll do it myself in the view/save logic.
>
> I'm just learning this part and wonder what others have to say. Is the
> tastypie/api method good for complex relationships and modelforms should be
> used for simpler ones? I guess that you can accomplish the same work with
> either method.
>
> thanks,
> --Tim Arnold

Marcin Tustin