try running dev server with command like "./manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000"
- 0.0.0.0 means that socket will listen for connections on all interfaces.
other people in your network will be able to connect your box using your ip.

if this does not help - show us output of 'sudo iptables-save' and 'sudo
ifconfig'

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM, nav <navanitach...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> I am running my django development server on 127.0.0.1:8000 and accessing
> this address from my web browser on the same machine. In the past few days
> I have found thet the web browsers keep prepending the address with "www."
> when using the above address. 127.0.0.1 without the prot number works fine
> but the django development server requires a port number.
>
> I have not encountered this problem before and am puzzled by what is
> happening. I am working on a Kubuntu 12.04 linux box and my /etc/hosts/
> file is below if that helps:

> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 127.0.1.1       <mymachinename>

> ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback