I've found two solutions: setting "editable=False" in the model's
field definition (which removes the field completely from admin), or
adding it to readonly_fields list in the ModelAdmin (which keeps the
data visible).

Perhaps it will be possible to subclass ModelAdmin, and make all
editable=False fields show up as readonly: after all, their data is
still interesting to look at, just should not be editable.

Mattias