On Saturday, September 8, 2012 8:16:18 AM UTC+5:30, Alec Taylor wrote:

> Suggestion: go visual
>
> E.g.: fork this - http://gaesql.appspot.com/

This already seems to do that:

http://code.google.com/p/uml-to-django/

I have not tried it: I am put off by the way it splits models.py and
admin.py, which is probably a necessary evil for a graphical model editor.

A graphical tool I have found useful runs the other way: the graph command
from django-extensions generates UML from Django models.

> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Timothy Clemans
> <timothy...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > I've developed a GUI for creating models, see
> > https://github.com/timothyclemans/django-admin-models-editor
> >
> > Would this be helpful for developers? Would it be useful for you? Should
> > keep developing it? What features would you like to see added?

Can it edit existing models as well as create new ones? If so some
integration with South would be nice. It would make it a lot more useful: I
spend much more time modifying models that creating them.

Also, looking at the code, it looks to me as though:

if not app.startswith('django'):

in admin_auto_register.autoregister

ought to be:

if not app.startswith('django.'):

if the intention is to exclude modules from django. There are other apps
with names starting with django such as django_extensions.

Can you extend this to cover more of the field options? Dealing with things
like "choices" looks like fair amount of work, but otherwise users will
constantly be switching between GUI and text editor. The big negative for
me with tools like this is that unless I can do most of the work on models
within it, then it will not improve productivity.