Hello,

I've just started working on deploying a Django hosted website on my VPS.
Last night I finished configuring mod_wsgi with apache2.2 and had got the
'It works!' page running from my Django project. I read here (
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/deployment/wsgi/modwsgi/) the
following:

Django doesn't serve files itself; it leaves that job to whichever Web
server you choose.
We recommend using a separate Web server -- i.e., one that's not also
running Django -- for serving media. Here are some good choices:

   - lighttpd <http://www.lighttpd.net/>

   - Nginx <http://wiki.nginx.org/Main>

I don't really understand this. This morning I configured my urls.py and
views.py to direct the '/' site url to an index.html template I created on
the fly (just for sanity check). Although it wasn't working at first, I
restarted apache2.2 service and the web page shows fine now. I don't
understand the idea of hosting two web servers and how Django is involved
with this if at all.

To me, it seems like apache routes clients to the wsgi, and the wsgi
returns with whatever http response it conjures up? Can someone shed some
light on this?

Thanks,
RC