Hi David, you might have stumbled over a problem I had when I first tried
out the tutorial a week ago. I'm using an Oracle database back end, and on
my first try of python manage.py syncdb, I also missed the prompt to create
a superuser account. The problem was finally identified as a missing
privilege for my identified database account. After granting missing
privileges, and starting again, everything was fine.

What back end database are you using? Is dictionary DATABASES in
settings.py correctly edited for your installed database and user account?
Does the account have required privileges to create objects in your
account's schema?

HTH, Jon