On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Jani Tiainen <rede...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rather than creating individual series of events from recurring I would do a
> concept called "recurring event". So it would be just a single event that is
> projected to spesific days as necessary. It requires a slightly more work
> but it's easier to maintain - for example entry would just state:
>
> recurring = True
> frequence = WEEKLY
> start_date = 2012-09-11
> end_date = 2012-12-01
> start_time = 09:00
> end_time = 10:00
>
> Then I would roll out custom non-database concept of "calendar day" that
> would be projected from database using both individual entries and recurring
> entries.
>
> Later on it would be very easy to modify existing recurring events and for
> example add cancellation of single event by creating overriding events
> concept.
>
> This way amount of data will be kept relatively small, it's much easier to
> read and modify. Of course drawback is that you need top level mechanisms to
> work with single calendar entries that map to your database representation.

Great, and obvious, idea - unfortunately a bad fit. Each event needs
to be an object as there are student attendance records and staff
attendance records linked to each individually.

I was thinking about it last night and it occurred to me that instead
of using the admin interface I should just write my own form and then
do the multiple object creation in the view - it makes sense to me,
although I'm sure I've miffed something up.

Other ideas still welcome.

cheers
L.

--
...we look at the present day through a rear-view mirror. This is
something Marshall McLuhan said back in the Sixties, when the world

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=14314