On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<jav...@guerrag.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
> <cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
> > So, here is a really minimalistic way of having class based views,
> without
> > the fuss.
> >
> > http://djangosnippets.org/snippets/2814/
>
> looks nice.  i like that it respects the idea that views in Django are
> just callables that take a reques (plus optional extra params) and
> return a response.  to get inheritance, just make callable objects and
> spread functionality as desired.

Yeah I was really pleased when I found the original snippet, and this
approach can be extended on so easily too.

> the generic view functions are good for prototyping, but soon you have
> to replace with your own, which is not difficult.  the problem with
> generic CBV is that they try to factorize every feature so thinly that
> the inheritance becomes an unholy mess.  any simplification would
> either reduce functionality, or make some features harder to replace,
> so there doesn't seem to be a way out... apart from not using them.

Agreed, the CBVs in Django leave me with the same taste that
django-tastypie left in my mouth - making a very simple thing overly
complex.

This is why I'm wondering if the way forward is to offer two types of CBV,
one using the current CBVs in Django, and one using an approach like this.