On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Morrti <sirrom...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your comments on version numbers, but moving to 1.4 isn't a
> quick option for me/us so I'm stuck on 1.1 for a while.
>
> Trying to run the app and instead of getting the "welcome" page I get the
> following, see below.
>
> Not withstanding my version issue, anyone got any ideas on this.
>
> [snip]
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File
> "/Users/timmorris/Sites/django/django-trunk/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
> line 279, in run
>     self.result = application(self.environ, self.start_response)
>
>   File
> "/Users/timmorris/Sites/django/django-trunk/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
> line 651, in __call__
>     return self.application(environ, start_response)
>
>   File
> "/Users/timmorris/Sites/django/django-trunk/django/core/handlers/wsgi.py",
> line 230, in __call__
>     self.load_middleware()
>
>   File
> "/Users/timmorris/Sites/django/django-trunk/django/core/handlers/base.py",
> line 42, in load_middleware
>     raise exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured, 'Error importing middleware %s:
> "%s"' % (mw_module, e)
>
> ImproperlyConfigured: Error importing middleware django.middleware.common:
> "cannot import name force_text"

force_text did not exist in 1.1, but it exists in current master. Getting
an error referring to it rather implies that you're running a mutant
version with some leftover py/pyc files form when you were running current
master (which appears to be what you were running for the first traceback
posted -- the " __init__() keywords must be strings" error there is what
you get today on master if you run with Python earlier than 2.6.5).

I'd start over with a completely new install, in a completely new directory
tree. (I also would not include "django-trunk" in the name of that tree, if
it was actually intended to hold 1.1.something.)

Karen
--
http://tracey.org/kmt/