On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Satinderpal Singh
<satinder.goray...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Satinderpal Singh
>> <satinder.goray...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I add the following to my code,
>>> I made a model form and a view which accepts input as a form and
>>> display it in the html format. As when i refresh the html page or try
>>> to fill another entry in the form, it gives the following error:
>>>
>>> The view Automation.report.views.chemical_analysis didn't return an
>>> HttpResponse object.
>>>
>>> Here is the views that creates this problem:
>>> def chemical_analysis(request):
>>>                 if request.method=='POST':
>>>                         form = chem_analysisForm(request.POST)
>>>                         if form.is_valid():
>>>                                 cd = form.cleaned_data
>>>                                 form.save()
>>>                                 chem = chem_analysis.objects.all()
>>>                                 #return HttpResponseRedirect(chem)
>>>                                 return
>>> render_to_response('report/chemical_analysis.html',
>>> {'chem': chem,},context_instance=RequestContext(request))
>                             else:
>                                 return HttpResponse("There was an error with
> your
> submission. Please try again.")
>>>
>>>                 else:
>>>                         form = chem_analysisForm()
>>>                         return render_to_response('report/report.html',
>>> {"form":form},
>>> context_instance=RequestContext(request))
>>>
>>> Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
>>>

>> If the request method is POST, but the form is not valid, then no
>> response is returned. You must return a response from every code path.
> Thanks, it works and now gives the error message, can you please tell
> me that why the input values are not saved in the database and it
> gives only the error message. Point me where i am wrong.

The form is not valid; check the data you are submitting and the form
definition to see why. The invalid form object itself will specify why
it is invalid, see the docs:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/topics/forms/#using-a-form-in-a-view
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/ref/forms/api/#using-forms-to-validate-data

Cheers