Off the top of my head I forget what kinks I ran into when trying to get
CSS to load on my development server. I'll try and come up with things I
remembered and let you know if I do.

One thing in Chrome that I tend to have to do (probably why firefox is
better in this case) is I have to clear my browsing data. That way the
files propagate through to my browser. Here's how to do that:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache#Chrome_v10_.2B

Did you run python manage.py collectstatic? and restart your local
development server with python manage.py runserver?

Cheers,

JJ