Regarding Django 1.4...

I recently came across a post that suggests that the way I'm managing
static files is "wrong". I wanted to make sure I'm clear on things.

In development, static files are in the "static" folders both within apps
at the project level. STATIC_URL = '/static/'

When I deploy a project, the collectstatic command copies *from* these
directories to a public folder on my static asset domain. STATIC_URL = '
http://static.foobar.com/', STATIC_ROOT = "/var/www/static.foobar.com"

Therefore, the "static" folder in my project directory is added to
STATICFILES_DIRS. Is that wrong? It was suggested that I'm supposed to be
collecting static files *to* the "static" folder--but that seems strange to
me as I don't want to collect static assets into my version controlled
source tree.

Secondly, I've heard that we should be using the static template tag and
not the STATIC_URL context variable. I see the advantages of using the
template tag, but, it's not wrong to use STATIC_URL right? It's not
deprecated or anything?

Cheers,
- Micah