OK. That change did make inspectdb work, however it wasn't the end of
the story...

# manage.py syncdb
gave me an invalid character error. Fixed that in oracle/base.py
FormatStylePlaceholderCursor with:

    def execute(self, query, params=[]):
        query = self.convert_arguments(query, len(params))
        # don't want that ORA-0091 error ('invalid character') when
terminating with a semicolon.
        if query[-1] == ';':
            query=query[:-1]
        return Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)

The got me past table creation, but now the foreign key creation is
falling over because the constraint names are too long. Where to fix
that?

also, i put a "print query" in execute() abive, but still can't see
these create constraint queries - where are they coming from?