I have just installed Pinry, which is a nice small django project.  It
isn't static, though.  But it is small enough and simple enough that
you can easily look through the source code and understand what is
going on.  I think it is well-suited to learning Django.

You can find Pinry here:

http://overshard.github.com/pinry/
https://github.com/overshard/pinry

Installing on a Mac or Linux machine is straightforward.  (If you run
into trouble with JPEG image support, you can check out my blog post
at:
http://joncrowell.org/2012/10/installing-pillow-1-7-7-and-solving-the-jpeg-support-not-available-and-_imaging-c-module-error-in-python-pil-errors-all-for-pinry/)

Jon