I'm having this problem at the moment too. In our case, it's because we
have a base template that inserts the jQuery library via a script tag
towards the end of the document, just before the close of the body element.
Since anything following a $ character in JS depends on jQuery, including
the $(document).ready function call itself, we can't do anything with
jQuery in a child template because the browser only includes the jQuery
library when it receives it from the server. A possible solution is simply
to move the <script> tag to the <head> element which would ensure that
jQuery is available; however this would incur a small performance penalty.