I figured it out.  I checked the database, and somehow in the process of
developing my app, I had registered the model twice, and then I removed the
first model.  The admin app was picking up the first model, not the second,
and since the first model was gone, there was nothing to edit.  Since the
data was junk data, I deleted the database, ran syncdb again, and then
recreated the user and issued permissions to the model (now only one
registered in django_content_type).  Logon as the non superuser user, and I
can edit the model.  Thanks for the help!