I also came across this issue. I managed to address this by actually
looking at the code for django.contrib.formtools.wizard.views.WizardView.

(I am no django expert. So I am sure there might be a cleaner way. This
worked for me. So I am just sharing my experience.)

I overrode the get and render_done method of SessionWizardView. The session
data is saved in a dictionary called storage.data. It is initialized in the
get method and destroyed in render_done method.

So I created a model in my database to hold: an id and a text field which
holds the json version of storage.data.

To save the session data, place a hook in render_done method to save the
data to the model and generate an id.

To restore the session, pass the id as a parameter to the form wizard. I've
put some sample code here: https://gist.github.com/3959900

Cheers