> they could be but forums are likely to be skipped by search engines.

you are wrong (in some way). most forums are php-driven and have
session-ids in the url. thats what make search engines "ignore" them.
search engines just skip the default php-crap. so slugs would be a big
plus. ;)

> cross posting? didn't seen that in forum scripts..
my intention was to move posts as a moderator, but that isnt really
necessary.

>I think I'll have to add a topic field "last post page", "last post id"
to get the last post link without calculating it

please make the last post link as an anchor of the current topic, like
/forum/topic/topic-page/#post-id.
in phpbbs this is a totally different url pointing to the same topic,
and this is really bad.

bye,
maddiin