The nginx configuration examples you link to are all POP3 or IMAP.
Sending mail is SMTP. But even then, you need an SMTP server to proxy
/to/. In these examples, nginx is simply acting as a proxy, not as an
actual mail server. I would recommend using a bona fide SMTP server. Or
use one already available to you from your mail provider (e.g., if you
use GMail, you can configure Django to use GMail's mail servers to send
email).

_Nik