Hi all,

Tenuous Django link but thought no one would mind if I asked the following:

Can I bypass the need for password entry in pgadmin3 by changing/locating a
.pgpass files instead of modifying pg_hba.conf to 'trust'? pg_hba.conf
currently set at md5 for everything.

1. I can merrily connect to the postgres server on my local ubuntu machine
as user postgres in bash by "su postgres" then "psql".
2. But if I want to be able to use pgadmin 3 GUI without entering a
password I need to do this as my user, andyt and this doesn't work (I did
chmod 600 this file to give rw access to one owner only). This feels like a
permissioning issue but with that chmod 600 restriction on pgpass I'm not
sure how to progress.

I have been messing around with strace trying to figure out the location of
pgpass which is being sought out when I run psql/pgadmin3 but the results
are inconclusive. They both (now)seem to be looking in the andyt home
directory. Not sure if this was the case earlier, sorry! I was earlier
placing .pgpass here there and everythwhere, but in particular
/var/lib/postresql.

Grateful for any guidance,

Regards,

Andy

*Key file contents:*

*1 pg_hba.conf:*

local   all             postgres                                md5
# local   all             postgres                                trust

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local   all             all                                     md5
# local   all             all                                     trust
local django_db django_dev md5
# local   django_db       django_dev                              trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
# host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5
# host    all             all             ::1/128                 trust

*2 ,pgpass*
127.0.0.1:5432:*:postgres:Passowrd@
:5432:*:django_dev:Password@