Check the error log for nginx to see if there's any hint of why the statics
aren't showing up.

My best guess is that the web server is running as a user that does not
have access to the files, and the error log should be showing up with
various "permission denied" messages.

The usual culprit is that while the static directory and files are readable
by everyone, the parent directories do not have the "execute" permission
bit set. On a directory "execute" means the ability to trasverse the
directory and get access to the contents, but not get a directory listing.

To fix, try something like this:

chmod a+x /var /var/www /var/www/virtualenv-test
/var/www/virtualenv-test/ENV /var/www/virtualenv-test/ENV/testsite
/var/www/virtualenv-test/ENV/testsite/static