I've no answers for you, but you might want to have a look at other
applications that use those products and see how they work.

I know that "zinnia", a Django-based blog framework, uses "mptt", so you
might want to have a look there. I've used zinnia, and I've never had to do
any "reload" so to speak when I add in categories into the tree.