I'm getting an unexpected validation error in Admin which baffles me. Any hints appreciated ... here is the traceback

http://dpaste.com/844972/

At the bottom of the traceback where the error is raised, the local vars are ...

self    <django.forms.models.ModelChoiceField object at 0x02414890>
value   u'33'
key     'pk'

When I save the item, it auto-generates many-to-many connections to a few standard images in the database via a through table. However there is a rule which says "if ever these two images are connected to an item, only keep this one and drop that one."

I use a post-save signal to "drop that one" using ...

Item_Pictogram.objects.filter(item=instance, pictogram=pic, via='auto').delete()

The local var value above being u'33' happens to be the exact pk of the Item_Pictogram record I want to delete - I checked in Postgres.

The pk should be an integer but I suppose that's nothing.

Thanks for any help

Mike