I don't have any magic answers for you yet.

My only suggestion would be to find out what's different in the environment
between running as uwsgi and running under runserver. Perhaps something in
the environment, or perhaps the username under which django runs in either
case.

/var/log/maillog is going to provide good information... see if you can get
hold of it from your provider.