OK,

It is because I had a non-empty string in settings.py for
TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID,

namely,
TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID='-TEMPLATE
-VARIABLE-IS-MISSING-'

Setting to "" # empty string worked around the problem.

I see now that there is already a ticket for this: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2566

That's all for now :)
/Nara

On 9/19/06, nara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If I set
APPEND_SLASH=False

in my settings.py,

then I see this POST at the end of my log:

[20/Sep/2006 03:28:15] "POST
/admin/auth/user/add/-TEMPLATE-VARIABLE-IS-MISSING- HTTP/1.1" 404 4838

Not sure if this gives any further clues.
BTW, I svn update everyday, and try things on either the main trunk,
or per-object-permissions branch.

Same error either way, in this case.

/Nara