On 9/20/06, Lachlan Cannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm creating my own web development business at the moment, using Django, and
> I'm wondering how web developers out there are getting the best re usability
> out
> of their Django apps to save time.
>
> My current thinking is to keep one master set of all apps developed in SVN.
> Say
> a newsletter app, an article app, a contact app, etc.. Keep a basic project
> structure (with sensible defaults for my environment for settings, urls etc.
> in
> it), also in SVN. Then, when developing a site export the basic template,
> update
> any apps as necessary, then export them into the project structure, tweaking
> templates and settings files.
>
> Is this how current web developers using Django are working? How can I improve
> this, and what other tactics can I adopt to help me cut down on unnecessary
> duplication of work?
>
> Thank you. :)

I'v also think about this before, and at that time I'v made a simple
auto tool for this aim. You can find it at :
http://python.org/pypi/djangoinstall/0.1

And I think about these points need to think about:

1. Modifying settings.py so that you can install new apps, adding new options
2. Modifying urls.py so that you can install new urls
3. Copying static files from the app's directory to web server's directory
4. Copying app source code to your project certain sub-directory
5. Some initialization works, for example run manage.py syncdb, and
load the initialization data into database

Just these thoughts. And if there is a auto deploy tool I think is
better. But I should say: django's configour file format is not suit
for such tool to analysis and modify, include urls.py also. So my
parsing code is ugly.

--
I like python!
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou