This approach is only useful for modules that import app.settings and use
things that it defines.  It doesn't affect things that import settings from
django.conf .

Your app can import settings from app, and get your settings.  That's not
going to affect any other app.  If you want to affect what other apps see,
you must either put the settings in the main settings file, or modify
django.conf.settings itself.  This last is fraught with peril, since you
can't reliably control the order in which you modify the settings object
versus when other modules may use its values in a persistent way.

Or am I missing your point?

Bill