Hi Phil,

What OS are you running on ? for ubuntu, you need to have an extra
parameter while creating the venv like :
$ virtualenv venv --distribute --no-site-packages

After that source the environment and pip install the packages
pip install Django psycopg2 dj-database-url

I would suggest you try the setup first on a blank directory.

Another thing you may want to check is where the manage.py file is . e.g. I
copied over the project that I was working on in a directory called
'website'. the manage.py is inside this directory instead of the root
directory (from where your do source). So, in this case I run the server as
:
$ python website/manage.py runserver

Vibhu

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Sam Lai <samuel....@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like you haven't installed Django in your virtualenv. In your
> virtualenv directory, look in lib/python2.x/site-packages and see if there
> is a Django directory in there.
>
> You can also try sourcing your venv, then running Python, and entering in
> the following statement to see if Python can find Django -
>
> import django
>
> If it can't, try the following statements in the Python shell and see if
> your venv's site-packages directory is in the system path -
>
>  import sys
> sys.path
>
> Finally, try the following command in your usual shell and make sure it is
> referring to the right Python executable (it should be referring to the one
> in your venv/bin directory) -
>
> which python
>

> On 30 December 2012 09:23, Phil <phil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for reply. Yeah I activated the source(terminal has "venv" beside
>> my username). I followed instructions here(so I pip installed django etc
>> after getting virtualenv up and running)...
>>
>> https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/django#prerequisites
>>
>> If I runserver thats when I get the error. If I runserver without
>> activating source it works fine but that would be using my system wide
>> python. Just need to figure out how to get it to recognise the virtualenv
>> python.
>>

>> On Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:16:45 PM UTC, quinonesvictor wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Phil
>>>
>>> sorry for the question, but, did you activate your virtualenv source?
>>> $ source bin/activate (?)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'd try to install django via pip once you I have my virtualenv
>>> created and activated.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> --
>>> QuiƱones Victor Manuel
>>> Tel: +54 0362 15 4 880839
>>> Resistencia - 3500
>>> Argentina
>>>
>>  --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>>

>  --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo da Vinci
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. - Confucius