Does the field in question have "max_length" specified (assuming that it is
a character field or a sub class)?  Does introspecting the database with
the database's tools indicate that the corresponding field has that size?
Was the database created using Django's syncdb, or are you attempting to
use an existing database.  Which database engine are you using (e,g.;
PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc. - different people will have insights into
different back ends)?  Is a stack trace printed - if so, provide it for
us?  At least, what is the exact text of the error message?

Bill