I originally went down this path but I too ran into many problems getting
this to work and ended up using Whoosh instead. The site was small ~30
pages or so it was still pretty fast. I had it index by reading the sitemap
and pulling down the page content from the web server. I used
BeautifulSoup4 to get the page title to store in the Whoosh DB. Anyway,
just another option to consider.