What's the best practice for this?  In my function based views, I'd check
if the form is_ajax() and if so, validate the form, render_to_string it to
a form template, and return that in a json dump along with a status code.
 Then I check the status code to see if there are errors.  If so, I close
the modal that the form is in, notify the user of successful addition, and
move on.  If there are errors, I replace the form's HTML in the modal with
the new HTML that contains the form with error messages.  This sucks
because I have to do this for every form and for every view that I have.