I assume, when Django 1.5 hits the public in 2014 >;) that many will want
to take advantage of some facet of the new pluggable User models.  You may,
like me,  want to add an additional column (field) or two in your custom
User.

E.g.:

class SiteUser(AbstractUser):
    site = models.ForeignKey(Site, null=True)

However, you have an exiting table of users and need to migrate them to
your new model/table.  How? My current challenge is that I don't see any
clear, scriptable way to do this, whether it be through South, SQL, or
dumpdata/loaddata.

Have an answer that's more than just a fleeting suggestion?  Feel free to
grab the bounty on the Stack Overflow
question<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14904046/how-to-migrate-existing-auth-user-models-to-my-new-custom-django-1-5-user-model>
 if
your answer works, or respond here if SO isn't your thing.