Raising an HTTP 404 while having DEBUG = False in settings.py makes a
webpage show up with nothing but a traceback with the following error:

[...]
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/context_processors.py",
line 17, in auth
    return {

AttributeError: 'ModPythonRequest' object has no attribute 'user'

Is Django's authentication system needed in order to raise 404s? I had
a look to context_processors.py and got convinced that the 'user'
attribute mentioned has something to do with the auth system.

The website I'm developing doesn't use a database actually, so I'm not
using the ORM and the features that depend on it (the auth system is
one of them, right?).

thanks in advance,
Filipe