On 12/03/2013 01:06 μμ, Jani Tiainen wrote:

There is not exactly "RESTful way to authenticate", since after all REST is just an architecture to represent different resources and thus it's totally agnostic what comes to authentications and such.

Simplest one (if you're use HTTP(S)) is to use basic/digest auth. Though true REST is protocol agnostic (for example it could use unix sockets)

Query authencation, a.k.a. API key, only one that you can do protocol agnostic way.

Cookie-based, for example posting credential query as POST (to create new cookie) to /sessions/ url. Binds REST to HTTP(S) protocol again and DELETE to /sessions/<session-id>/ to logout

Personally, if working with Django and HTTP I would go for cookie based auth since it would be natural.

Otherwise API key isn't that bad option.

In my case I use Django and Tastypie. The whole thing works fine for non authenticated users and I would like to provide content for my registered users too.

Would the best practice be to use Django login form to authenticate the user and then use Django authentication type (instead of api/key )with tastypie to access the content for registered users I am after?

Thank you