On 19 March 2013 10:50, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Philip Goh <philip.wj....@gmail.com>
>> In the end, if you're asking this question you can't go far wrong if you
>> toss a coin and pick one.
>
> Much of a muchness? They *really* aren't. One of them is an actual database.
> One of them… isn't.

I remember my databases lecturer almost chocking on her tongue when
someone mentioned MySQL was a database as people were straggling into
the hall. It really stuck in my head because I'd been using it for
years (and I still do on occasion).

> of MySQL has been a constant stream of "What the hell were they smoking". In

> It has an incredibly
> naive indexing structure, and a query planner that is dumb as a bag of
> hammers.
> And then, just for giggles, MySQL does stuff like this:

> Anyone who can rationalize
> this behavior without resorting to medicinal grade hallucinogens wins a
> shiny new penny.

This is gold.

> tl;dr - Friends don't let friends use MySQL.

Passion is a wonderful thing - please don't ever leave it at the door.

L.

--
The new creativity is pointing, not making. Likewise, in the future,
the best writers will be the best information managers.

http://www.theawl.com/2013/02/an-interview-with-avant-garde-poet-kenneth-goldsmith