Hi,

I've just spent the last few hours looking around Django site, and
google and the mailing lists for any hints on the following problem.

I need to implement functionality similar to that of the
django.contrib.sites module, the difference being that value of what
would be the SITE_ID setting, needs to be obtained from the current
session.

The basic idea is that I would like to automatically filter model
results based on the contents of a list of elements in the request
variable. Lets for the purposes of this discussion, call it a
Container.

So person browses site, gets assigned a blank list of containers.
During login the users list of containers gets populated. In terms of
the existing sites module, this step is the equivalent of setting
SITE_ID to a list of IDs (yes I'm aware that it would make no sense to
do so, but I'm saying this in terms of logic, not semantics). Any
requests for model data then that the user needs to modify or view then
gets filtered based on the values of this list of containers.

I'm kind of a newbie to Django. Am I right in thinking the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible is by using a combination of model
managers and middleware? Is it at all possible to get any data provided
by middleware into the managers or are the managers one way elements?

I've found some hints on this usergroup which involve middleware that
writes to threadlocal elements that looked promising, but I don't know
if this will work with mod_python or not. Will this work, or does this
sound like a Django Faux Pax?

Any advice would be appreciated and may carry beertokens redeemable on
an Island in the Mediterranean.