I'm converting a Java jnlp app with a tomcat backend to an HTML5/jQuery/AJAX UI
with a Django/Apache backend.

This is an intranet application with <50 users and a very light workload.  Idle
90% of the time and ~5 users active at a time.  There are only 2 or 3 pages in
the entire project.  I don't think I need templates at all but can handle it
with one static HTML page and AJAX, using jQuery's .load() function to assemble
the "components" combined with a tabnavigator to change views.

While this application is not very "busy" it is very complex and the
requirements change frequently.

My concern is coming up with a deploy strategy that makes it easy to manage
upgrades and the occasional revert when an upgrade is buggy.  And yes I know it
should be tested better, but there are internal issues that prevent that.

All my prior apps have used Adobe's Flex/Flash for client,  XML for data
transfer and Apache/Django 1.3/MySQL for the server.  In those applications I
would use a "daisy chain" of symlinks to point to the current deploy like this

Maindeploydir
    /v001
   /v002
   /v099
   /current -> v099

Under htdocs and under my wsgi directory I would have symlinks that point to
/home/maindeploydir/current/gui  and /home/maindeploydir/current/mydjangosite
respectively

Thus a new deployment just involves changes the "current" symlink.

This seemed reasonable when the client was build using the Flex IDE and the
server was built using Eclipse/PyDev.  But now that I'm abandoning Flex, I
think there should be a better way.  Perhaps my lack of experience with
staticfiles is a factor in not seeing the light, but I would appreciate some
insight into a sound deployment strategy.

Thanks,

Fred.