Thats what I was afraid of.  Unfortunately Media Temple DVs come
pre-installed with Plesk which in turn comes pre-installed with weird
versions of different software packages, none of which are mod_wsgi.  At
this point I have not figured out a way to install mod_wsgi without
breaking the entire thing.  Maybe its time to move on to a different host.