So, if i am right, usage of sessions makes an extra call to the DB for
every view with login_required.

SELECT "auth_user"."id", "auth_user"."password", "auth_user"."last_login",
"auth_user"."is_superuser", "auth_user"."username",
"auth_user"."first_name", "auth_user"."last_name", "auth_user"."email",
"auth_user"."is_staff", "auth_user"."is_active", "auth_user"."date_joined"
FROM "auth_user" WHERE "auth_user"."id" = 3

..app\debug_toolbar\utils\tracking/db.py in execute(118)
  stacktrace = tidy_stacktrace(reversed(get_stack()))

I do not want to be finicky about this 'extra' DB call, but was wondering
if someone has used the cookie-based approach and has avoided sessions
altogether. I just wanted to understand the implications on security and
what i need to be aware of when using cookies in this way. Any experiences?

-Venkat
http://twitter.com/venkasub