As a user of both, I got to say they are a bit different, webfaction brings
the easy of deploying of the classical web hosting to django, while digital
ocean is more like "cloud based vps".

With webfaction you don't have to setup much, if all you use is
mysql/postgresql it is very nice, DO you have to configure everything
yourself but you can have anything you want, however you want, where
instances can be deployed fast (a bit like amazon AWS).

It is a tradeoff between easy to use and control.

Regards,
Carlos Ruvalcaba