Am sure many in this mailing list are running websites that send emails to
customers from their django applications. And also emails from the
operating system(like logwatch etc).  I was wondering how you do you
achieve both?

For example, when i use a gmail id, i see that i am able to send an email
from django directly, without setting up anything(no postfix etc). The
following works, but the same doesn't if i try with a non-gmail id. I guess
it has to do with my domain provider not allowing certain ports and i fear
breaking the ToS.

In settings.py:
EMAIL_USE_TLS = True
EMAIL_HOST = 'smtp.gmail.in'
EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'usern...@gmail.com'
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'pwd'
EMAIL_PORT = 587

And from the shell..
from django.core.mail import EmailMessage
email = EmailMessage('Hello', 'World', to=['m...@gmail.com'])
email.send()

I do not want to take the hassles of setting up an email server for sure.
I am just looking for  a simple and maintainable way that confirms the
deliverability of the email :)

Venkat