I have a list that looks like this:

   list = Device.objects.all().order_by('parent', 'name')

and I use this list in a view. Works fine. However, I want to
have the items with a special name at the top of the generated
list. I can easily create two lists, which have the two items in
it:

  list1 = Device.objects.all().
     filter(name__istartswith='New device')
  list2 = Device.objects.all().
     exclude(name__istartswith='New device').
     order_by('parent', 'name')

However, I can't find a way to join them into one list. This did
not work:

   pag = ObjectPaginator(list1 or list2, 50)

And besides, or would use QuerySet.__or__ which would use
QuerySet._combine, and that would merely intermix inter object
parameters of the not-yet-evaluated QuerySets.

   list = []
   list.extend(list1)
   list.extend(list2)
   pag = ObjectPaginator(list1 or list2, 50)

I also can't solve my problem at the template level:

  {% for item in list1 %}
  item.foo<br>
  {% endfor %}
  {% for item in list2 %}
  item.foo<br>
  {% endfor %}

... because this wouldn't work with ObjectPaginator.